Nice! +40 responses to yesterdays email. Blew the 25 I needed out of the water.
Seems like most people agree with me that creating a nice FaceBook business URL is a royal pain in the a**.
I’ve come to the conclusion that the fact that very few people know how to do this is probably a good thing. It means there are plenty of good keywords/usernames left for us to grab!
With this post you’ll find a video that shows exactly how to create a FaceBook vanity URL for your business. It’s just under 10 mins long.
Here’s the basic outline of what to do in text format for those who asked:
- Logout of facebook and visit http://facebook.com
- Ignore the signup form and click on the “Create a Page for a celebrity, band or business.” link below the form
- Choose the Official Page section an enter your settings – I chose Brand=products, page name = autoblogging (although it is not really that important)
- Click create official page and confirm the next window
- If you get a warning saying your page name is not available simply change the type in the brand dropdown, I changed it to consumer products
- Resubmit and it should work just fine
- Now you need to link the new page to a personal FaceBook account, I just use my normal personal FB account. FB do not like you to have 2 accounts so be careful if creating a new one.
- Once logged in you should see your new page. There are lots of things you can setup here, logos, text, tabs etc.
- The URL of your page will be similar to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Autoblogging/152563548114773 not very pretty!
- Visit http://facebook.com/username/ and choose your new page from the drop-down
- You will get a warning saying it is not elgible yet, this is because you need at least 25 FB likes
- Now we’ll get you 25 likes
- Setup an account at http://microworkers.com
- Make a $10 (min) deposit
- Setup a new campaign for 30 FaceBook likes (details in the video) should cost around $4
- Wait up to 24 hours for approval
- Check your facebook page and it will now have +30 likes
- Revisit http://facebook.com/username/ and choose your new page from the drop-down
- It will now be eligible so enter your desired username, be careful you cannot change it.
- Either choose a brand focus or go for SEO by choosing a keyword/key phrase.
- Once entered and approved you will be take to your new page via you new vanity URL e.g. http://facebook.com/autoblogging (might take a few mins to resolve
- All done!
Now the next bit is entirely up to you but you can of course create as many pages with usernames as you want. You can choose pretty much any keywords for the usernames you want. Who’s going to bet me that a http://facebook.com/keyword URL in a moderately competitive niche is going to have a fairly easy time getting on the first page if you just add a few good keyword articles and point in a handful of +PR2 links :)
Whilst there are probably still an awful lot of unclaimed brand usernames, FB seem pretty hot on monitoring this situation so be ready to lose the page or even the approving account. If you do want to go down the brand snagging route then I would probably risk a second throwaway FB account and put the page in there.
Incidently you get 2 for the price of one in this post, as well as the FB username tip I’ve quickly shown your one of my personal secret weapons – Microworkers.
This is such an awesome resource and I plane on showing you exactly what you can do with it in future videos.
As ever please leave a comment or question on the post.
It makes it much easier to put together the next one when I know people are reading/watching and appreciate what you do.
You can even let me know what usernames you’ve managed to snag and make me jealous I didn’t think of them first!